Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Shoplifter

We find empty boxes/packaging in the store more frequently than I would like. Our store has a less than stellar loss prevention program. OK, we have NO loss prevention anything. Customers think that if they remove the items from the package, then they're safe. I've had my suspicions about people before, watching them as carefully as I can, but I've never actually seen shoplifting occur.

One of my employees has.

Unfortunately I wasn't there to witness the whole thing, but the story got passed around so everyone heard all the details, more or less. Several boys from the neighborhood had been coming in nearly every day. They were perhaps 12~14 years old and obviously bored out of their minds. They were polite, though, and asked questions about our specialty products which I had no problem answering. I encourage curiosity and they never asked me questions if it was really busy. Now I know why.

Well, one of my high school employees saw one of them put an item into his pockets (not a small item, so BIG pockets). He did the right thing and told the manager on duty. She approached the boys and asked if they needed help. They, of course, said no, then left. The high schooler FOLLOWED THEM OUTSIDE and told the boy something along the lines of, "I know what you did. Give it back." Surprise, the boy HANDED HIM THE ITEM and ran off. The MOD called the police and about 10 minutes later they arrived (not an emergency, obviously). They said since the boys were no longer around that they couldn't do anything, but if they came in again, to call the police first. Don't approach them, don't ask them to leave. Just call the police. Sure, no problem. Good idea.

The regional manager was informed of the situation in case it turns into anything later on. The boys haven't been back in, and I don't expect they will. There are perhaps one or two managers who don't know the boys, but those of us who've seen the boys gave them a pretty good description.

I had a chat with the teenage employee the next time we worked together. I praised him for his observation skills and for telling the MOD what was happening and for trying to protect our merchandise. Then I asked him to NEVER follow a shoplifter outside to ask for the merchandise back. The kid could have had a knife or a gun or started throwing punches. The high school employee wasn't that much bigger than the pre-teen shoplifter. He laughed it off, "He was just a kid. He didn't have a gun." How do you know? I had access to a gun as a kid. Actually, quite a few guns! Just be careful. Protect the merchandise, but don't risk your safety.

No comments: