Sunday, August 28, 2005

Rude and Demanding Customers

The customers were SO DEMANDING today! I thought I'd lose my mind. We were also about twice as busy as normal, which meant we had nowhere near the number of staff that we should have had if I had my mind-reading skills practiced up on how many customers to expect.

It's amazing how impatient and un-understanding people are. It was obvious there were a hundred customers in the store. It was obvious EVERY SINGLE employee was helping someone. Yet people still acted all put-out that they have to wait. For even one minute.

One older woman, AS I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF EXPLAINING SOMETHING TO ANOTHER CUSTOMER, came up and asked if we had a certain item. "I'll be with you as soon as I'm through with this lady." "But I just want to know if you have more of these." DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE MY BRAIN LINKED TO OUR COMPUTER INVENTORY SYSTEM?? "No, what we have are out." (We might have had more somewhere else, but if I had told her that, then she probably would have insisted that I "just check real quick" even though I was helping someone else FIRST.

Several times people interrupted with "quick questions," etc. My rule is, "First come, first served." If you have a problem with that, then you're an idiot and don't deserve my help. Great customer service, yeah, I know. But why should I stop helping a customer who's being reasonable, polite, and learning valuable info from me just before spending a couple of hundred dollars to help a rude, demanding, idiot who may or may not buy anything at all??

No comments: