Monday, August 29, 2005

Managing Conflict

Today this guy was three steps through the door and asked for help with a problem he was having. My boss politely yet somewhat bluntly told him that what he planned on doing wouldn't work. Out of the blue he started yelling at her that she couldn't tell him what he could and couldn't do, that this was ridiculous, we were supposed to help him, blah, blah, blah. He made quite a scene.

I tried to help by phrasing it a little differently, basically saying that we were trying to save him time and money because in our experience, what he wanted to try wouldn't work. That helped only slightly. By that point it was clear that while he didn't appear to be drunk, there was definitely some type of drug involved.

Another employee came up and asked if she could help him. He said, "I'm about ready to walk out because of HER" (as he pointed to my boss). Both she and I were about ready to say, "Go ahead," but we restrained ourselves. The employee helped him, showing him one thing that MIGHT help him do what he wanted to do. Then again, it might not. I give it a 5-10% chance of working.

Since he was so upset with the boss, she went off the sales floor until he was gone. It was totally for her safety! I stayed in the front out of his sight yet where I could see the register so that if there were any further problems I could intervene. He hassled the cashier a little, but nothing bad. He paid and left.

Afterwards the boss, always more uptight that she needs to be, was worried that he might report her to the corporate office. I reassured her that the guy was so out of it he probably wouldn't remember what happened. In addition, TWO of her employees saw the whole thing and agreed that she did nothing wrong. Other customers in the store were sympathizing with us about how unreasonable the man was, and that we were correct that what he wants to do WON'T WORK.

No comments: