Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Day From Hell

You're still reading? The title isn't enough?

OK, so here's my day:

A new employee showed up just long enough to quit (better than another new employee last week who worked just one day and then disappeared off the face of the earth). No notice, just quit. It wasn't the reason he gave, but I had heard from another employee that he couldn't stand one of the other managers. It pays to be nice to your employees because they tell you important things! One of them clued me in earlier in the day that he might not show up at all, so I had a backup employee ready. The manager he had a problem with is on a major power trip. I've talked with her about being the boss without being bossy, but she is still very certainly bossy and mean and overbearing and if she were my boss I'd quit, too. As it is she tolerates my authority over her, but isn't always happy about it.

I found out some information that means I have to discipline 3 employees, one of them the girl who's a semi-manager (but I have more authority than her) and thinks she should have my job and that I'm out to get her. I called my boss's boss (remember my boss is out for a few weeks) to find out what kind of discipline was appropriate, considering this is the third time for the same issue. She told me to put the girl on "probation," which means if she does anything wrong in the next 30 days she's fired. I expressed my concern that the girl will not take it well coming from me and the big manager agreed, suggesting that I wait until the store manager gets back. That's still a week away! I've already disciplined one employee (by itself a stressful event) and the other will happen tomorrow; I can't save the semi-manager for next week and let her think she's getting away with something. So I called the store manager and asked her if she could stop by to sign the disciplinary papers, showing that she knows about and supports my action (even though it's HER boss that told me to do it). Instead she's coming in tomorrow and the three of us are going to sit down and deal with the issue.

A shipment came in that was more than what I had authority to order. I double- and triple-checked my numbers and figured out that I had ordered correctly but they had sent me too much stuff. Big manager said that it was OK, just order less next time to make up for this week's vendor error.

The stupid customers were everywhere, and they all seemed to find me when they needed help.

It was a big shipment day, plus several smaller ones, so lots to do everywhere.

Minor bug infestation/damaged product to record.

On a good note, the incompetent cashier didn't mess up too badly and most customers left before the store closed.

I am NOT looking forward to tomorrow's meeting to discipline the semi-manager. She's going to be pretty nasty to work with for a while. Hey, maybe that's good.....insubordination would be enough to get rid of her at this point. She's not good for the store or the company, so might as well get rid of her in the next 30 days while we have the reason to.

No comments: