Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Computer Monitor

It was a fairly busy day and I was at the phone trying to find out about ordering an item for a customer. It's not something we usually carry, but we can get it if given enough time. I had never ordered one before, though, and I couldn't find the paperwork that I needed.

I called another of our stores to talk to my friend the manager but she couldn't help. She suggested another of our stores where the store manager is well known for being knowledgeable in that area. I try to be professional on the phone, never knowing who knows who or who within my promote-from-within company might someday be my boss.

Well, I dialed the second store and just as the person answered the phone I saw a cashier heave a heavy item onto the counter. Enthusiastically. With vigor. On the way to the counter the item hit the computer monitor. Hard. The computer monitor went flying off of the counter.

Oh shit.

"Thank you for calling {Our Store Name, Their Location}, this is {not the big manager with the reputation but nevertheless a manager}, how can I help you?"

{{How am I going to explain this to not only my immediate boss, but her boss, as we ask for emergency approval for a new monitor since that computer is the only one that can do certain important things???? How about, "Sorry, but we had a little accident and the computer monitor is in like a million jillion pieces. Oops. Can you give us a new one?" That would not go over well. At all.}}

"Hello?"

Time moved in slow motion as my cashier and I both lunged for the monitor. It hung by a single cord, swinging madly about. This is not a light monitor. In fact, it's quite heavy. But it hung. The cashier picked it up and put it back where it belonged, and it still worked. Not a scratch (that wasn't there already, anyways) on it.

Whew!

"HELLO????"

"Oh yeah, sorry, this is {my name} from {our store location and number}. Sorry. Had a bit of a problem here. It's OK now. Anyway, is big smart manager there? No? Oh, do you know the answer? Yes, thanks! Have a good evening!"

No comments: