Saturday, August 06, 2005

A Bad Driver

In the olden days when I was a regular employee I witnessed a car accident in our parking lot. Back then we did shipment a little differently than we do now. The delivery man would put the pallets outside and we would unload stuff onto a handtruck to take it inside. I was working with my manager out in the hot sun, but talking and joking kept it fun. A couple of ladies in their 50s or 60s entered the store, bought some stuff, and got back into their car. The lady backed up and turned entirely too quickly, putting a pretty major dent in the side rear of the car parked next to her. She pulled forward, presumably to park and find out whose car she hit, but then she backed up again at a different angle, and drove off! I stood there, shocked that she would do that, but my manager had the presence of mind to get the license tag number and type of car. We went inside, wrote the info down, and found the customer the car belonged to. She went outside to view the damage, then called her husband because none of us knew what to do. He said, "Duh! Call the police!"

At that point my mind started working, honed by hours of watching detective shows. I asked the cashier what the lady paid with, and lucky us—she paid with a credit card. So when the police arrived, we had a description of the car, the license tag number, what direction she was headed, a description of the lady, and the name of one of the ladies. The officer looked at the damage and took statements from the manager and me. With all of the info we gave him, he said there'd be no problem finding the woman and charging her with leaving the scene of an accident. So 6 points on her license, a nice sized fine, a HUGE insurance increase………I don't remember seeing her in our store again!

No comments: