Sunday, June 19, 2005

A Good Customer

I'm going to make a conscious effort to write about GOOD customers at least twice a month. The bad ones are so much more memorable, while the average ones don't ask too many stupid questions and generally clean up after themselves. But occasionally I'll get a really nice customer who makes my day brighter. Sometimes it's by recognizing the hard work I do, sometimes it's just by using common courtesies that everyone else has forgotten.

Anyway, not too long ago I had the greatest customer. I was ringing an older gentleman up (OK, he was old, really old) and I explained our procedure for handling checks, as many customers are unfamiliar with it and are understandably worried about the security of their personal information. He listened, understood some of it, then said, "Things are getting too modern. It's time for me to kick the bucket." How do I reply to that? He wrote the check, I did what I needed to do with it, we exchanged some nice conversation, and, wonder of wonders, he treated me like a human being. He hasn't been back since. I hope he didn't 'kick the bucket.' My city needs more human beings.

No comments: