Monday, May 08, 2006

Why are you harassing me?

Lots of times I recognize customers—sometimes it's a good feeling, but often it's a bad feeling. (Regulars who don't make waves aren't as memorable.) Saturday I recognized a customer, and while I didn't remember the specifics, it was definitely a bad feeling.

The woman attempted to return {something that isn't a normal product that if you knew what it was it would make a lot more sense} that didn't comply with our policies. When she explained the problem, I remembered the specifics of why I knew her…….she's done this before, and I said no (before). She threw a fit. I made a ONE TIME EXCEPTION, making it very clear that this was a ONE TIME THING. Well, Saturday she did the same thing again. I said no. She threw a fit. I said no and explained what she'd have to do to comply with our policies, which wouldn't be very difficult if it was legitimate. She threw a fit. I said no. She threw a fit. I said no.

"Why are you harassing me?!" she SCREAMED AT ME (after the second time of saying no, I believe).

I said nothing. Nothing I was thinking was anywhere near what wouldn't get me disciplined/fired.

She counted to ten, OUT LOUD, and then asked, again, "Why are you harassing me?"

Yeah. I'm harassing you. Sure. Who's the one yelling?! I calmly replied, "This is what you can do to comply with our policies. Otherwise, I can't do anything for you."

Now perhaps it was a mistake to make the one time exception, but Boss frequently does this and expects us to do so, at our discretion. Thing is, it's a ONE TIME thing. Not a whenever-you-feel-like-it thing. This customer is taking advantage of the store.

With a threatening tone, she demanded, "What's your corporate number?!"

I gladly gave it to her……….but not the 1-800 one. The other one. Where she'd have to pay for the call.

She huffed and puffed a little more, surprised that her demand for our corporate number didn't get her what she wanted. Finally she left.

Ten minutes later, she was back to yell some more. She accused, "That's not the right number! It's only a recording! You gave me the wrong number!"

"It's Saturday. The office is closed. You can leave a message or call them on Monday."

Not satisfied with that, she made more demands, "When will the other manager be in?"

"Monday." I said nothing more. I still seethed, still thought terrible things, still bit my tongue so hard it was practically bleeding.

She left again.

When Boss came in today I mentioned the situation to her, but apparently she didn't listen because when I stepped out to do some store errands the woman came in. And made demands. And Boss gave her what she wanted……..as a ONE TIME THING.

When I heard about it, I was livid. "Boss! How could you?! Weren't you listening?! She's done this before. She comes in and causes a childish scene and gets what she wants REPEATEDLY; she's taking advantage of the store in a big way. We're LOSING MONEY because she's our customer."

"Oh, you didn't tell me all that."

YES!!!! I did!!!! You weren't listening!!!!!!!!

Boss says the woman won't be allowed to do that again. We'll see. We have some of the classiest customers (in all economic groups); we also have THE trashiest, "get something for nothing" customers (rich and poor). Boss is entirely too lenient with customers, not wanting to cause waves. If it came down to it, I could see Boss giving in. As I said, we'll see.

With Boss's approval, I won't give in to the woman's demands. If I'm not here, my two cashiers from the "throwing a fit" day know what she looks like. Boss recognizes her. The other manager knows about her and agrees completely with me that she's taking advantage of the store and should be stopped. She knows the woman's physical description, repeated problem, and story (that changes frequently). But, now the woman's gotten her way three times by throwing fits. Next time I can only imagine that the fit will be worse. I can foresee a "step out or I'll call the police" moment coming.

No comments: