Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Intelligence

A woman approached the register that I was running, ASSISTING A CUSTOMER, to ask for help. It was obvious from the start that she would be nothing but trouble. I informed her, "I'm helping this person right now, but I'll get someone to help you if you'll wait a moment."

Someone was close by so she got the help right away. When the employee returned to the front with the customer, it was obvious that the employee was PISSED OFF and trying to keep from:

a) using inappropriate language with the customer and

b) running at her with a knife and repeatedly stabbing her until she shut up.

Lucky me, it was still busy so I got to ring the lady's sale. She complained about EVERYTHING and then she took forever to write her check. She asked me something and I wasn't really paying attention (since I was nearly asleep from standing there waiting so long) so I just repeated the total. She snottily replied, "I asked for the DATE." Oh. {Scan my computer screen, looking for the date....why should I know it any better than her?} "Who do I make it out to?" {My store.} (Do you need me to spell everything for you, too?)

Then our check approval system wasn't working perfectly. The customer wanted to know, "What's the problem with your system?" I casually explained, "Oh, there was just a communication problem with the bank the first time." The customer accusingly replied, "Oh, it wasn't MY bank's problem. It was YOUR system." (Fine, whatever. Doesn't matter. Just leave.)

She left, ignoring my goodbye.

A few minutes later, she was back....with an exchange.

"Apparently the boy wasn't **intelligent enough** to know that I wanted the same colors. Why would I want this color? I want to exchange this."

"OK.....that's fine....." (what are you waiting for????).

"I don't remember what aisle they were on."

"Shall I get it for you?" I HATE THIS FAKE SUBSERVIENCE!! But with this woman, I was totally "respectful" while being sarcastic and matching her attitude. Nothing I could get in trouble for, but just enough of an edge so she couldn't take advantage of me.

The employee she was referring to is actually quite smart. Later I asked him about it, just curiosity, not because I believed he did anything wrong. He explained that she SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED the color that she originally bought to match something else that she already owned, not to match the other item that she was buying.

There's a 90% chance that she'll return everything she bought. It was that kind of sale. Waste his time, my time, then my time again for a small sale. Intelligent? My employee gave her the color that she asked for. He wasn't intelligent enough to read her mind that she really and truly wanted the other color?! Please!

No comments: