Friday, May 19, 2006

CRAZY

I spent a lot of time with an old woman today. She couldn't remember what she usually buys, couldn't lift anything WHATSOEVER, and after each item I had to walk it (and her) to the cashier before she decided that she needed help with more stuff …..blah blah blah……strictly her talking for 10 minutes about nothing related to anything in my store. At that point she needed help with something else in a far part of the store but the cashier needed change and another customer needed help with a truly heavy item.

I asked her to go on back to that section and I'd be there in a minute (knowing it would take her a lot longer to walk there than me). I carried the heavy item to the customer's car, got the change, then took a phone call regarding a supposedly defective item. (The man hadn't read the directions. Amazing what a difference that makes.)

I was on my way to see what else the lady needed when I heard her back in the front complaining to the cashier that no one had come to help her. Augh! Shall I strangle you now, or wait until you need help to your car with your 5 pounds worth of stuff and do it then???

There are some old people that I absolutely love (and not just family members). But others…….they drive me CRAZY! They think they're entitled to my undivided attention for as long as they want it. They have nowhere to go and nothing to do, and think that I don't, either. When you combine a store full of ancients who all think that the world revolves around them with a few time-starved baby boomers who want to get IN and OUT FAST with a limited number of employees and you have a problem!

No comments: