Sunday, May 14, 2006

Search Terms: Laws

The 200th post and I have nothing momentous to write.

I have been collecting some of the search terms used to find my blog. I've divided them into four groups: Laws, Store Policies, Employees, and just plain Weird. The first installment is today.

Laws:

  • Someone wanted to know whether they should put a shoplifting history on their job application. Answer: in my store, yes. We ask if you have a criminal history, so if you say "no" and we find out later, we have the right to fire you on the spot for lying on your application. Of course, if you put the shoplifting history on the application, we won't hire you. People don't easily change. Shoplifting is only easier when you're an employee. So definitely, save us both the trouble and put it on the application. Or better yet, don't apply at all. Go work in a restaurant or an office where there's not much to steal.

  • A student in Pennsylvania asked, "will retail theft go on my record." I sure hope it goes on your record…..theft is theft. Retail theft is no different than any other kind of theft, you just didn't use violence. You're still hurting my store, its employees, and every customer who has to pay higher prices to cover the missing merchandise.

  • "Is it illegal for cashiers to ask for id if the card is signed." Hmm….probably not, but who knows? We've got some pretty weird laws. I would think if it's a store policy that's applied consistently, then it's probably perfectly legal. But if the cashier only asks Eskimos for ID, then it is probably illegal. I usually ask for ID if it's a big purchase or the signature on the card is a squiggle that would be easy to copy, or if I get a funny feeling or if it's a guy's name and a woman's using the card.

  • Someone in Indiana wanted to know, "Is it illegal to take merchandise that the cashier didn't ring?" Well, did you pay for it? No, so did the store give it to you? No, so it's practically the same as stealing unless you go back and pay for it, right?

  • "fire marshall fines store or manager" We're both lucky that the fines go to the store. But I suspect that if it was something the manager did that caused the violation/fine, then the manager would be subject to disciplinary action/dismissal. Example: store merchandise in front of the fire exit, and I'm pretty sure that while the store would pay the fine, they would NOT be happy with the manager.

No comments: