Friday, May 05, 2006

Leave Now!

I had to call the police today, right at the end of my shift. There was a very aggressive panhandler approaching cars and demanding money. This particular guy was in an electronic wheelchair going back and forth between several stores and restaurants. I could just see someone hitting him.......on our property.......what a mess that would be. I went out and told him he needed to leave. He responded that he was "waiting for someone." Yeah. Right.

A few minutes later a customer came in and complained about him wheeling up to the car and knocking on the door to ask for money. We tried the nice way. Now let's try another way.

I called the non-emergency number for the police department and explained the problem.....my worries about the man's safety and my customers' annoyance, safety issues, etc. The dispatcher agreed to send someone out.

Then it was time for me to leave, so like many times, I don't know how the story ended..........did he leave before the police arrived, did the police "requesting" him to leave work a little better than my request, or did they have to be more forceful?

No comments: