Friday, July 01, 2005

Price Matching

Like many stores, we do price matching. If a competitor sells the same item for less than we do, we'll match that price to keep the business.

I don't know how many times someone has told me, "Wal-mart has the same thing for X dollars less." Is it the same manufacturer and everything? "Oh, I'm not sure. It looked the same." Let me assure you, it was a different product. Sometimes customers INSIST that the items are IDENTICAL, which means I have to call Wal-mart (or whatever other store) and stay on hold forever to check the price and specifics.

Guess what? Good guess! 95% of the time it's either a different manufacturer, or a different line within the same manufacturer, or a smaller item, or a million other things but NOT THE SAME PRODUCT. While it is cheaper, it's also a smaller or thinner or louder (when quiet is what you want) or otherwise inferior product.

I explain to the customer that the items are different. The customer often replies, "Well can you give me the lower price anyway?" NO! It's NOT THE SAME PRODUCT. I'm not going to give you the same price on our superior product. If you want that price, then go to the other store and buy THEIR product and then come back to us 6 months later when it breaks to buy our quality product.

No comments: