Tuesday, July 12, 2005

My Employees Can Help You

Some customers walk into the store and immediately ask to speak with a manager…..I think, "Oh no, what will I have to do to make them happy?" Then it turns out that they just want me to help them instead of one of my employees. What kind of manager would I be if my employees weren't capable of helping them with their routine issue?! Most of my employees are quite competent, and in fact some of them know more than me about certain areas. I know at least a little about everything, then have my specialty areas that I know a lot about. For example, let's pretend I work in a hardware store. I know tons about hammers, saws, and nails, a decent amount about screwdrivers, but just the basics on paint. If forced to, I can help a cutomer with paint, but why should I when I have an employee right there who knows everything there is to know about paint? He can help you a lot better than I can!

No comments: