Monday, September 26, 2005

Still Hiring

I called two people to come in for interviews but had to leave messages; they never called back. In the meantime two people walked in, filled out applications, and had decent interviews. One of them had cashier experience, and as my best cashier is wanting fewer hours and threatening to quit, I hoped that she would work out. I had to discuss it with the store manager before I officially hired her, though. So later in the day I called the girl to have her come in to fill out all the paperwork the next day. She said sure, no problem, she'd be there.

After I left for the day the girl called back and said she "couldn't come in" to do the paperwork until four days later. She didn't say why it had been OK at first but then it wasn't OK. The thing is, I told her in the interview that I need people NOW so she obviously doesn't want the job that badly. I was if-fy about hiring her to start with.

When I called her the next day to tell her that if she couldn't come in that day then don't bother coming in at all, she had a LOT of excuses….she couldn't get off from her current job (which she had NOT mentioned on her application or in the interview, she said that she used to work drive-thru and in her school cafeteria, but NO MENTION of a current job was made), she had no transportation to get to our store, there was no one to watch her son, etc. Could I give her a couple of days? Uh, no. I can only expect that you'll have the same problems with getting to the store and finding childcare when it comes time to actually work.

Was she ever angry! Something about already giving notice at her current job or something or other. Well it's not my fault that she changed her mind about when she was available to do the new hire paperwork. She marked on her application that she could start immediately, yet didn't mention her current job……????

No comments: