Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Why Should I Know?

Today was like my zillionth consecutive day working, including both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. So no deep thoughts from me about the new year or goals or resolutions. In fact, I was so tired that I was asleep way before midnight.....pitiful. Even worse, both Saturday and Sunday the store hardly made enough money to warrant being open. Perhaps eventually we'll be closed on more holidays? No, probably not.

I hate having to repeat myself. A customer asked me if {Company} had {variety of} {product}. I responded that we don't carry products by {Company}, so I wouldn't know. After not listening, she told me why she needed the product (like I care) and then asked, AGAIN, if {Company} made {variety of} {product}. I answered, VERY slowly......"I. Don't. Know. ---------- We. Don't. Sell. ANY. Products. By. {Company}."

She, of course, wasn't satisfied and acted as if I'm not doing my job since I don't know about every product by every manufacturer that's even vaguely related to my industry. I hate that. I know a good bit about the 10,000 or 20,000 or however many items that we DO sell. It doesn't make sense for me to learn about products that we DON'T sell. If it's a new and exciting product that my store has some chance of carrying, yes I probably know a little bit about it, even though it's too new to be in my store yet. But if it's an established product that we for whatever reason don't sell, I don't waste my time learning about it. In this particular case, the company she was asking about makes products inferior to the ones we sell. Spend a little more money for the quality product and in most cases you'll be happier.

No comments: