Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Parts

Asshole of the day:

A man, in his early 70s, wanted to buy a part to a product he bought in our store. I explained that we don't sell parts; we sell the whole thing. I've probably sold a thousand of that item, and not a single person has come asking for parts. Until now.

The man started yelling that no one told him that parts weren't available when he bought it two weeks ago and now he has a thing he can't do anything with, blah, blah, blah, what is he supposed to do, etc. etc. I suggested he try a hardware store or the company who makes the item. "So you're not going to do anything for me?!" That would be correct. If we don't have it, we don't have it. No, I can't order it. If you had taken care of it to start with then you wouldn't need the part now.

Throughout his tirade he liberally used PG-rated words and kept getting closer and closer to me. I backed up, and backed up, and after repeating my advice to try a hardware store, I went to the front of the store and filed some invoices while I kept an eye on the guy and had employees and a phone close by. He made one last try to somehow get me to say I'd get him the part, I repeated that I COULD NOT GET IT, and he cursed a little more before leaving (still PG-rated, if it had been worse I would have made him leave).

A woman browsing in the front commented that someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. You think?

No comments: