Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Balancing

The coupon lady was in again today. She snottily asked, "Remember me?" as she acted like a queen. She was artificially friendly as she made sure that I knew that she, the almighty customer, was in control and if I didn't please her she would get me in big trouble. She still doesn't get that I was just doing my job and protecting my company. Apparently Boss did her apologizing profusely thing to keep the lady happy; the lady apparently thinks that she has the power to get me fired.

The same day, before the store manager arrived for the day, a man had a complaint and wasn't satisfied in the store so I gave him our corporate number. Within THREE HOURS our regional manager called to question whether I had handled things correctly. I explained the store side of the issue, told her I had witnesses who would corroborate my story if needed, and that was that.

When Boss came in I informed her about both issues. The more I thought about it, the more the coupon lady upset me. I hate feeling like I have to kiss ass or risk getting in trouble. It's a constant balancing act of following company rules to keep a certain corporate employee happy (calling him Mr. Prick will work just fine) and bending the rules to keep customers happy (because if the customers are upset then Mr. Prick would also come after me). If I'm too strict with policies the customers call corporate and get their way anyway; if I'm too loose with policies I get yelled at for not following policies. Today was one of those days where I wondered, "How can I stay in retail?"

Before the conversation with Boss had ended I was crying, which I hate, because some employees saw me upset, too. At least Boss realizes how that lady affects me. Before she always said, "I don't have a problem with her." Yeah, no kidding, she knows you're store manager so she gives you tons more respect than any of the rest of us. I DO have a problem with her, as do several other employees. A SERIOUS problem.

While I know customers are why the store exists and how we get paid, why must we tolerate customers who treat us as less than human? Further, they expect Wal-mart prices with Saks service........not possible!! Many customers judge me by my job or the status that they perceive me to have. They think I'm in retail because I have no other options but that's not true. I've just become comfortable where I am and am hesitant to change. But now.....do I really want to continue dealing with customers? Yet am I going to let customers drive me away from a job that's worked well for me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so weird, it feels like you work with me. First, we also have a coupon lady -- it says on the coupon one per transaction; yet, this one customer always comes in with like 20 coupons (because they're easy to receive). Anyways, one night, this lady came in with 10. The other supervisor on that night turned her down and I guess our coupon lady called our district manager and he said it was fine (because in our company, like yours, if the customers complaint goes to corporate, they'll just recieve a million apologies and gift certificates...) Anyways, he called us up the next day and said she could use the coupons -- one coupon per 10 dollars she spent. Meaning, that we would have to do as many transactions in order to process her one (of 10 or more) coupons -- which is totally ridiculous and time consuming.

It's funny how demanding customers are. I work at specialty store too, so I won't disclose specifically what this customer said to me, but a couple of months ago a customer said, "Look. Just because you work at a (where I work..), doesn't mean you can't give good customer service like a regular retail store." I was pissed because I don't look down at what I do, who I work with....but sometimes the only thing I look down upon is the customers -- people who only care about how the can get the edge out of someone. Be strong when this woman walks into your store -- let her use her goddamn coupons and have done with it. I know you're protect your store profitability (is that a word?), but in the long run your ruining your longivity in retail. Don't let them mess with you.