Monday, January 16, 2006

Who Was It?

Statcounter is great, or not so great, depending on your perspective. Great to see who is visiting, how they got here, which posts they like best; not so great when you're worried about WHO is visiting.

Recently someone visited from the city next to mine. At first I was concerned, but then I thought about it being a pretty large city, so no big deal. But when someone visited from my not-so-big city....!!!!....go away! No, you don't know me. You have no idea who I am or where I work. Really.

Not too long after that, a co-worker suggested that I print something off the internet for another employee, "Since you're on the computer so much." What does that mean?

The co-worker didn't say anything else and no more hits from this area recently, but still......it makes me wonder if I make my writing anonymous enough. My company isn't with-it enough to have a blogging policy, but I am fairly certain that they wouldn't like me writing for all the world to see, even if I don't reveal what type of store I work in, and especially not the company name. While they couldn't fire me for the blog itself, I probably have violated the confidentiality clause.

I think I'm doing OK with not discussing things in too detailed a manner. Certain posts would be clearer if you knew what type of store I worked in, while you've missed a couple of very funny stories because certain subjects aren't possible without revealing the store's specialty area. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but stores in this specialty area are few, my company is on the smallish side, and many of my employees are young and technologically savvy. Fewer details is good.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I have worked in retail for about 14 years and am currently a customer service Supervisor for a big box company that everyone really likes. None of your posts breach any sort of confidentiality clause because you are speaking on the essence of working in retail and you haven't given away anything proprietary. It's so cool to know someone else goes through the same staffing and customer issues I go through :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe the employee overhear you talking about computer stuff. If it was someone from your staff, you would have heard some sort of gossip by now. Don't worry about it. You've never disclosed anything personal about the company and you can deny, deny, deny if they said something. Yeah, I don't think they could technically 'do' anything about it anyways.