Friday, January 13, 2006

Eyes in the Back of My Head

We have a couple of newish high school employees that aren't working up to our standards. One of them (A) it's pretty certain that we'll get rid of soon. A pretty good high schooler (B) commented on A not doing the job well. I told B that I noticed what A was and was not doing and that if it continued she wouldn't work for us anymore.

While I try not to mention employees' negative performance with other employees, I had multiple reasons for saying this to him:
1. Demonstrate to B that I see things that I don't always appear to see.
2. Make sure B knew that the behavior was unacceptable so that he wouldn't begin doing it.
3. Knowing how our employees love to gossip, I knew that B would tell A what I had said. Hopefully A will then either get scared into doing the work properly or quit before we have to fire her. Either way it's good for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While those points seem really valid, I think that just hoping your employee will fly right by means of gossip is wasting your time. You or your store shouldn't have to deal with an employee that has to get "scared" into working; that's just a temporary solution to a long term problem. I don't think you should be concerned about employee (B) feelings on whether you are doing your job or not with your omnipotence. I think your employee (B)will get the picture when employee (A) is either separated or displinary action takes place which employee (B) eventually discloses to her peers.

p.s: great website! i work in retail mgt. too and will visit your site regularly! keep it up.