Sunday, November 06, 2005

No More Babysitting!

I've got this new employee. Not like that by itself is an unusual thing, but anyway. She was very enthusiastic and talkative in the interview so I hired her despite her youth and lack of experience. Usually the high school students, once we've trained them, work out fairly well because they don't mind the low pay and we offer flexible hours. They learn quickly, show appropriate respect to the older customers, and don't mind working weekends.

However, this employee acts like she's TWELVE. She's careless on register, is very flighty, and I have to tell her multiple times to do something. She has NO SENSE of time management. There's a list of closing tasks that must be started EARLY in order for us to leave at a decent hour. I should not have to continually remind her about these duties! And non-routine tasks, too: you've got to be constantly on her back for her to finish. She'll start something but then get distracted and never go back to the original task. (She reminds me of this former employee.)

On top of all that, when she's working the sales floor she can't do anything on her own. She must "assist" someone else. Talking, flirting, doing anything but working. It's driving everyone (managers and employees alike) crazy. We'll give her a little time to get her act together; otherwise she's out the door. I have a business to run. I don't have time for babysitting.

1 comment:

Virgilio Paralisan said...

Your predicament is not unique. I am amazed at the depth and breadth of your patience. It usually takes me a week to decide to get rid of employees or team members like the one you are "babysitting".

I still stick to getting the right person the first time. 15 years getting people to work with the most difficult projects have provided me enough experience to have no more surprises to a situation like yours.

For most young employees, your patience is a blessing but it may prove too hard for yourself not being decisive after the first tell-tale signs of trouble show themselves.

Virgilio Paralisan