Monday, November 14, 2005

Friendly's Request

My friend the manager at a nearby store called today. Let's call her "Friendly." Friendly just fired one of her top people for misconduct and needs a replacement. Surprise, she was inquiring about the possibility of getting one of my employees. It would be a promotion for the employee and a significant pay increase as well. But we don't want to lose her!

We talked for quite a while. I made sure Friendly knew the employee's strengths and weaknesses so she knew what she was getting into and what kind of hassles to expect. The employee is good, but occasionally there are some interpersonal issues that need management intervention.

I told her I guess she can have my employee if she really needs her, but we need 2~4 weeks to train the replacement since we're down a person at that level anyway. Normal employees are one thing; semi-management employees are quite another.

Nothing's firm yet so I haven't told the employee involved. The last thing I want to happen is for it to fall through and the employee to be disappointed. Friendly doesn't know if her boss will make her get an outside person or if she can do a staff transfer. It would be lots easier on her to have my fully-trained and quite competent employee. We'll have to see how it plays out.

No comments: