Saturday, April 15, 2006

Read the Directions!

Today I was called to the front to handle a customer complaint. The customer insisted that one of our items had been recalled and demanded to know why we were still selling them. The item was so dangerous and she should report us for endangering the public with the item.

In fact, her 3rd cousin's high school teacher's wife's uncle's brother-in-law had almost died because of this item. I explained to her that we were aware of the issues/possible problems/news reports about this item but that IF USED CORRECTLY, it's not dangerous. If you use a hair dryer in the shower or drive a car with no brakes or take a whole bottle of Advil, then you might be injured or killed. If you use the item AS THE INSTRUCTIONS STATE, then there's no problem and no danger.

The customer looked at me like I was stupid and just making things up to make her leave. (Me?! Would I do that?) She countered, "No, I heard on the news that these are really dangerous and aren't being sold anymore." She picked up the package and I pointed out to her where it said "Do this" and "Don't do that." I offered to show her the news release from the manufacturer stating that the product is still safe WHEN USED AS DIRECTED.

She's not the only one to take the recent news reports as fact. It's getting really annoying. Sales of that item, previously brisk, have slowed quite a bit.

Hey newspeople..........when you're reporting these injuries/deaths, how about say that the product was used totally incorrectly and the injured/dead person was at fault. I still use the product, because I'm smart enough to READ THE DIRECTIONS!

No comments: