Saturday, April 08, 2006

Interviews

Interview time! But since we've been working the last two weeks without Mr. Problem, it's not particularly pressing for me to hire a replacement. We can run the store short that position for as long as it takes to find a GOOD person, not just any person. We also have a couple of other positions that have been unfilled for a few weeks. So might as well do a lot of interviews at once.

I went through the applications and arranged for quite a few interviews, all in one day. Two were no-shows, one a definite no, two probably no, two maybes (I want another manager to interview them for a second opinion), and one probably yes.

Another manager (who is new at interviewing so I was training her) asked me what makes for a definite no, since I scheduled two interviews for her to do the following day (my day off). Well, the biggest thing to make me NOT hire someone is a blah personality with no enthusiasm AT ALL. Other things are someone who doesn't smile a single time during the interview, is a know-it-all, wants an impossible amount of money or impossible schedule (you MUST work at least one weekend day!), or demonstrates no problem-solving skills or common sense or brain power.

Sure it's only retail, but finding a good salesperson isn't easy. Our store is very fast-paced and if you can't multi-task and do things without a manager overseeing your every move, then you won't do well here. I also look at how I think the person will fit in with the current employees—will they get along, will they work together well, will they enjoy working together (if possible)?

Being nervous is ok……..most people are during an interview. Most of these interviews were high school students on their first job interview, so they were especially nervous. That actually worked well for me because I got more honest answers to my questions since they haven't heard them before or practiced how to interview.

"Why do you want to work here?"………"Because I think it seems like a fun place to work." In and of itself, not a completely disqualifying answer, but when it was obvious by further questioning that "fun" was the most important part of a job to the applicant………we don't always have fun here, so perhaps you should work at a carnival or something.

Being a little on the quiet/shy side is ok. But if I have to drag words out of you……..you don't belong here. There's a LOT of talking that you have to do with customers, co-workers, vendors, on the phone……

The "probably yes" person is very enthusiastic, positive, friendly, had all the right answers (yet I think they were honest answers), and will fit in perfectly.

No comments: