Thursday, April 13, 2006

Drugs

My gut is turning out to be pretty good.

The guy with the disability failed the drug test. I do NOT understand why the guy applied at our store. He knows we're a drug-free workplace. Now, personally, I don't care if employees do that particular drug on their own time as long as I don't hear about it (because then I'm forced to do something about it). We've had lots of employees who smoked a little (or a lot) and it didn't affect their job performance. (So I knew about it, but I didn't really know about it, so no official action was necessary.)

Is it so hard to stop for 30 days or whatever it takes to pass the test and get the job?! It also makes the employee who recommended him look bad……..poor judgment, on drugs himself? But anyway, now we won't have any problems with him, and I can hire the high school kid.

It's the kid's first job. He's 16, but looks to be about 12. Everyone who has seen him asked me if he was old enough, did I know child labor laws existed, was he out of elementary school yet, etc. I'll have to watch to make sure that he's not teased too much. I may also have to ease him into the physical side of the job to give his body time to adjust.

No comments: