Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Finally Gone

The problem employee I mentioned at the end of this post is FINALLY gone. I won't go into many details, but here's a summary of what this employee has been over the last months:

huge insubordination, my story vs. his story, him lying to the boss in front of me about what happened, the boss not supporting me as strongly as I would have liked, him then claiming both harassment and discrimination; finding out that he's Mr. Tax Evasion Expert with 6 invisible kids and 15 years of not filing taxes equaling upwards of $50,000; boss finally starting to see how big a liar he is; continued coming in late or not at all which boss ignores; disappears from the galaxy for two weeks and boss finally decides to fire him, which surprises him. "I was sick!" says he as he plans his trip to the unemployment office to further defraud the government while he works his under-the-table job.

I was close to quitting several times in those months……..so many headaches and a boss who did nothing. I know you have to be careful when firing someone, but when an employee messes up, DOCUMENT IT. If they mess up again, DOCUMENT IT AGAIN. Establish a pattern, and then FIRE THEM. Throughout it all, I was determined that he WOULD NOT force me to leave. He's finally gone but it's not as satisfying as I thought it would be. Oh well, at least the headaches are gone. Chances are another headache will come along before too long, but as long as I'm doing the hiring, hopefully they'll be minor ones.

No comments: