Friday, March 17, 2006

You were a WHAT?!

I was called to the front this evening to open another register because a single customer was taking FOREVER to tell her life story to the cashier, ask the total a dozen times, finally finish writing her check, etc.

What I heard of the life story: she was forced to retire last year from her job because of severe depression that left her unable to work. It's so hard for her to get out of bed some days that she nearly runs out of supplies before she makes it to the store..............there was a lot more to her story, but I was trying to get through the line of people before a riot began. I checked out at least 6 people while my cashier took care of her and only her.

When she left, the cashier and I just looked at each other. She retired only LAST year? How long was she this messed up before that??

So, what was her job, you may be wondering. Someone's secretary, maybe a musician, what kind of job would FORCE her to retire?

She was a **public defender** up to one year ago. There are probably poor innocent people in jail because of her. The cashier and I both decided then and there that if we ever need a lawyer, we'll do everything possible to make sure we don't get a public defender!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on! I also manage a retail store and aside from bamboo shoots under the fingernails there are days that are mostly good, but there are more that are collective insanity by the entire human race
!