Thursday, March 23, 2006

Buy it yourself

Today I was helping a WEIRD, WEIRD woman. She collected many items in her cart and I was with her a long time. When it was time for her to pay it had gotten busy so I was the one to ring her up.

When I told her the total, she looked shocked. Then she explained that she didn't have a job right now and she had a lot of bills to pay and she had been sick so the total was a lot for her. Then she just looked at me, expectantly.

What?! I'm not paying for it! No discount, no free product. Ninety percent of the stuff was not at all necessary, especially for someone without a job. Her total was not small, but not huge, either. Perhaps ten or twenty percent of customers have a higher total than her. Do you want the stuff, or not?

I, of course, said nothing. I do a lot of thinking stuff I wish I could say, though.

She sighed and got out her checkbook. I inwardly groaned, looking at the line of people waiting. I suspected that the check would be declined, but surprise….approved. What are the chances she returns the items within a week?

The neighborhood I'm in, I hear sob stories almost every day. I have NO SYMPATHY for people who buy unnecessary stuff that they can't afford. It's called responsibility and self-control. I'm cynical and don't believe any of the people asking for money, either. Tomorrow I'll talk about just a few of the stories I hear.

No comments: