Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Where is he?

(See parts 1 and 2.)

He pouted all day and only spoke to the other manager or me when absolutely necessary. When it was time for his break, he clocked out just like he does every day at break time and left just like he does every day at break time.

Hourly employees get a half-hour break. Half an hour later, he wasn't back. Long line? Bad traffic? Forty-five minutes later, nothing. Maybe he was in an accident? An hour later, no sign of him. OK, so he's probably not coming back. Two hours later......he's had plenty of time to call.........terminated.

I haven't seen or heard from him since. You want to hear the funny part? A few days after he was hired, when it looked like he'd be a good employee, he told me that the day after he'd gotten the job with us he'd been offered a job at one of our competitors making $1 more per hour, but he didn't think it would be "honorable," I think was his word, to go and work for them after already making the commitment to us. I'd like to ask him if he thought it was "honorable" to just leave and not come back. At least wait until the end of the shift; at least TELL us you're not coming back from break; at least CALL and say, "I quit." Easy, it is. Don't make us wonder. If someone wants to quit, there's no reason for me to talk them out of it. Walking out..........cowardly.

His last paycheck will be mailed to him, so I'll probably never see him again. I hope he got the job at the competitor.......the owner's a real asshole. I know this via one of our employees who used to work for the competitor, and also through my own phone dealings with the owner. Our employee is the hardest worker, pleasant with customers, all you could ever ask for, and long-term here. But our employee lasted only two months at the competition before he couldn't stand it anymore. Good luck, coward. Eventually you'll either learn how to work or you'll have to depend on someone else to support you.

No comments: