Saturday, February 04, 2006

Losing things

I am so stupid. Or maybe I just need some sleep.

I was doing my closing paperwork while employees finished the routine cleaning and other tasks. I added up the checks and credit cards, counted the cash, then prepared the bank deposit bag. I put the cash into the bag and then reached for where I usually put the checks after counting them but found nothing. I looked up, and saw no checks. I looked around the whole area, no checks. I looked on the floor, in the drawers and cabinets, no checks.

An employee came in to call her mom to pick her up from work and I asked her to help me look. I asked her, half jokingly, "Where would an insane person put the checks?" I thought I had absent-mindedly put them somewhere stupid and we would find them and have a good laugh about where they were found. She looked, but still no checks.

I began to get worried. OK, stay calm. They have to be here somewhere. They can't just vanish into thin air. Look on the bright side, it's checks, not cash…..at least it won't look like you stole anything. No, they have to be here somewhere. Keep looking!

Fax machine, trash can, (should I check the trash the employees just took out? No, I'm not quite that desperate yet), filing cabinets, safe……..

Another employee walked by and began helping. We looked EVERYWHERE, but found no checks. I thought about how I was going to have to explain to not only my boss but also HER boss about losing the checks and how it would be deducted from my pay and how much that would suck to be paying for my mistake for months to come. Further, it would make me look really irresponsible and if I can't even handle checks then why should they give me my own store?

It was time for my employees to go home, and still no checks. I really didn't want to leave without finding them, knowing that I would worry about it all night. OK, I'll look through my paperwork one more time.

Oh I am such an idiot!!

There they were, neatly clipped together like normal, right in the middle of my stack of Visas. {Whew!}

No comments: