Thursday, June 29, 2006

"Regulars"

Some of my regular customers are really cool. We joke, give advice, recommend new restaurants, discuss local problems and possible solutions, etc. It's all as time permits, too. If it's really busy, my regulars understand and do their best to stay out of my hair.

Then there are the annoying regulars who are demanding no matter what and threaten to call my boss/corporate EVERY TIME THEY SHOP because it makes them feel special and powerful. Well, you're not special and you're not powerful. You're idiots.

We also have quite a few special needs customers. Some are awesome. They know they need extra help but do what they can to HELP THEMSELVES before requesting assistance. We learn to recognize them and remember what help they need and what they can do themselves.

Other people with special needs are TERRIBLE. They come in barking orders and don't lift a finger. I've had some people fling a list at me and expect me to do their shopping for them, plus know which of the 500 shampoos is the one on their list. Some people throw a fit because we don't have chairs for them to sit in while they wait for a spouse to shop. I barely have room for merchandise! You want a waiting area, too?!

The people who need extra assistance because of their weight REALLY annoy me. You don't get to be 300+ pounds overnight. Don't expect everyone to cater to you because you can't walk or lift stuff. You're a drain on society. Medical costs…..on disability in many cases….take some responsibility and do something about your problem.

For our nice regulars (even the semi-nice ones) we really go above and beyond. One regular was recovering from surgery and his wife doesn't drive at all so I delivered to their home several times (completely off the clock and non-company sanctioned and totally out of my way). We often hold merchandise, sometimes for far longer than we should, because we know that the regular will be in to make the purchase. I've stayed open late or let a regular sneak in a little before we open to shop, especially if I know they won't be a bother.

My store is big enough to have what you need yet small enough to know you. Now if a stranger asked me to bring something to their home or hold a large quantity of an item for a length of time or stay open late, I'd say NO WAY. Absolutely not. But for my regulars (especially the nice ones) I'll attempt any reasonable request.

2 comments:

neal said...

A lot of people do not deserve good service.

The customer is not always right.

I will smile, I will be polite, I will be helpful.

But if it's a customer I know isn't going to snap their fingers or storm off because I can't drop everything and run over to their assistance then the smile won't be fake, the politeness will radiate, and the person will be helped to the best of my ability.

But the post wasn't really about unknown customers. It was about customers who we know in advance DO NOT DESERVE excellent service.

You can say "well, you get a paycheque - suck it up" or "you aren't going to win customers by offering poor service"

This truth remains, regardless of paycheques no person deserves to be treated like crap. Bitchy customers, or people that expect you to bend over backwards for their $3 sale should be dragged into the streets and publicly flogged.

Retail Recorder said...

The post started out as a tribute to my favorite customers, several of which came in that day. Then I added that some of my regulars are great and others aren't. Then I made the barest mention of non-regulars. Perhaps too many topics in one post?

To be perfectly clear, the post was about regulars. Good and bad.

John: I give the unknown customer more than adequate service. But I don't go above and beyond like I do with my good regulars. I realize every person who walks in the door, phones my store, etc. is a possible regular. But if an unknown person calls and asks me to hold my last 100 of something until next Tuesday, I'm going to say no. I don't know if that person will come, and I don't want to turn away other customers who took the trouble to come to the store. But if a regular asked me, I would do it because I trust them and know they will come as promised.

I can let a regular into the store before we open knowing that they will patient if they're ready to check out before the registers are opened.

I could make the delivery to the sick regular's home knowing that 1. his check was good, 2. he wouldn't hurt me, and 3. he wasn't demanding about when I came....he knew our store doesn't offer delivery and I was doing it at my convenience.

Neal: I love the way you put that. I give the annoying customers service, maybe not excellent service, though. And the smile is definitely fake!