Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Dirty Dumpsters

Today I got to handle a trash disposal issue. Whoever empties our dumpsters......and I'm still not entirely certain how this all works.....has been leaving trash all over the place and not putting the dumpsters back where they belong. So after talking with at least a dozen people at quite a few government offices and private companies I found out who it was (why can't they make it easy and put the name on the side of the dumpster?).

One of the phone calls was to our local government code-enforcement office, so after finishing my phone calls I went out with a couple of employees to clean up the mess behind our store so just in case anyone from code enforcement decides to stop by we won't get cited for any violations. (Not all of the chaos was due to the trashmen. Some of it was due to lazy employees.)

It was disgusting......rotting piles of garbage were everywhere. I felt a little bad asking the employees to tackle such a distasteful task, but they were glad to get away from customers for a while. The fact that I was helping, out in the cold and filth, may have contributed to their good attitudes, too.

Now it's nice and clean behind the store; the dumpsters have been moved to their proper locations; and only 4 more shopping (working) days until Christmas!

No comments: